Select Page

In 1949 U.S. singer Tony Martin recorded "There's No Tomorrow" with lyrics by Al Hoffman, Leo Corday, and Leon Carr, which used the melody of "’O sole mio". This sun, my own sun, I'd stay below your window Pe’ ll’aria fresca pare già na festa... e pe’ tramente torce, spanne e canta,   sta nfronte a te, sta nfronte a te! Sergio Franchi recorded this song on his 1962 RCA Victor Red Seal debut album Romantic Italian Songs.   ’o sole mio sta nfronte a te! Its lyrics were written by Giovanni Capurro and the music was composed by Eduardo di Capua and Alfredo Mazzucchi [it] (1878–1972). Literally, "Oh baby (girl)", but commonly used, as here, by a suitor as a term of endearment when addressing his sweetheart, the term "ne’" being a contraction of "nenna", and meaning "baby girl", or "young girl" (, A declaration to that effect, signed by Mazzucchi, and dated June 6, 1897, was tendered as evidence in the case (. For nearly 75 years after its publication, the music of ’O sole mio had generally been attributed to Eduardo di Capua alone. Refrain. What a beautiful thing is a sunny day! ’na lavannara canta e se ne vanta [3], Che bella cosa na jurnata ’e sole, ’o sole, ’o sole mio ’O sole mio is the Neapolitan equivalent of standard Italian Il mio sole and translates literally as "my sun" or "my sunshine". As of 2002, the song's yearly royalties were estimated to be at least $250,000. Quanno fa notte e ’o sole se ne scenne, The air is serene after a storm, Refrain When night comes and the sun has gone down, The air is so fresh that it already feels like a celebration. In October 2002, Maria Alvau, a judge in Turin, upheld the declaration, ruling that Mazzucchi had indeed been a legitimate co-composer of the 18 songs, because they included melodies he had composed and then sold to di Capua in June of 1897, with a written authorisation for the latter to make free use of them. Sesame Street - Ernie and Bert "What time is it? In 1921, William E. Booth-Clibborn wrote lyrics for a hymn using the music, entitled "Down from His Glory."[17]. What a beautiful thing is a sunny day! Lùceno ’e llastre d’’a fenesta toia; When night comes and the sun has gone down. I almost start feeling melancholy; lùceno ’e llastre d’’a fenesta toia. ’O sole mio is the Neapolitan equivalent of standard Italian Il mio sole and translates literally as "my sun" or "my sunshine". [12] Luciano Pavarotti won the 1980 Grammy Award for Best Classical Vocal Performance for his rendition of "’O sole mio". Che bella cosa na jurnata ’e sole. But another sun, even more beauteous, oh my sweetheart,[10] Refrain [13] It has turned out, however, that the melody was an elaboration of one of 23 which di Capua had bought from another musician, Alfredo Mazzucchi, in the preceding year. quanno fa notte e ’o sole se ne scenne. ", YouTube, Grammy Award for Best Classical Vocal Performance, International Music Score Library Project, "Sergio Franchi – Romantic Italian Songs", "O sole mio: from Neapolitan ballad to football chant, via Elvis", "Renato Pagliari: Singer who had a No 1 record across Europe alongside Renée", "Renato Pagliari, voice behind Just One Cornetto advert, dies", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2FTMCJ91rM, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYzbD5Hwvbk, https://www.liveabout.com/profile-of-the-song-o-sole-mio-724307, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uniF-c1ExQ, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%27O_sole_mio&oldid=987278880, Pages containing links to subscription-only content, Articles containing Italian-language text, Articles containing Neapolitan-language text, Articles with International Music Score Library Project links, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.

Ocean Spray Cranberry Nutrition Facts, Abi Mehdhi Hassan Megha Akash, What To Put In Chicken Ramen, Ethylene Production From Naphtha, Fitness Training Exercises, Lemon Ricotta Dessert Cake, Cream Cheese Packets, Phco3h Reaction With Alkene, Special K High Protein Cereal, The Manhyia Palace, Even The Ocean Review, Mtg Slivers Banned, Mental Health Housing Rights, Prakarana Meaning In English, Buy Kiki's Delivery Service, Technicolor Tg589vac V2 Access Point, Stereoselective Michael Addition, Year 3 English Textbook Cefr, The Pragmatic Programmer, 20th Anniversary Edition Pdf, Boats For Sale Swan River Mb, Southern Smothered Pork Chops Recipe, Pink Shirt For Boys, What Are The Characteristics Of Distributed Operating System, Bajaj Avenger 180 Review, Korean Ice Cream Bar, Costco Folgers Coffee, Cannondale Scalpel-si Carbon 3 2018, How Many White Rhinos Are Left In The World, Reebok Ice Blue Bottom, How Many Signals Does Methyl Benzoate Have, We Don T Need To Worry About It, Top 50 Senior High Schools In Ghana, International Capital Market Association, Microban Professional Sanitizing Spray, The Power Of Now Review, Hymns By Joachim Neander, 365nm Uv Light Uses, Endless Summer 2 Theme Song, Taco Palenque Menu, Is Methyl Hydrophobic Or Hydrophilic, Nike Kybrid S2 Review, Enfield Rifle 1857 Revolt, Extended Plus-size Crop Tops, List Of Greek Temples, Ppushu Ppushu Flavors, Plantronics Voyager 4220 Uc Review, St George Terroir Gin, Computer Programming Interview Questions, Benefits Of Strategic Human Resource Management Pdf, Mezcal Cucumber Jalapeño, Patiala Weather Tomorrow, Mini Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins, Creamy Shrimp And Grits Recipe, Advanced Programming Concepts, Different Types Of Black Spiders, Xtreme Comforts Seat Cushion, Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes, Savory Crostata Recipe, Bell Hooks Feminism Is For Everybody Pdf, Otis Spunkmeyer Foodservice, Real Estate Images Clip Art, Galaxy J3 Orbit Hacks, Uv Beast Review, Game Launch Arguments Rainbow Six Siege, Cronulla Electorate Federal, How To Make Cider From Apple Juice, Cranberry Curd Tart Gingersnap Crust, Kid Friendly Snacks From Around The World,