Select Page

Cried out: “The imperfect tense in the original signifies that the shouting was persistent.” (Tasker), ii. c. Hosanna! © 2020 Christianity.com. “Not one of them was fated to be incapable of belief; it is made plain below (John 12:42) that some did in fact believe. John Chapter 12. i. It included a reminder of His teaching, a challenge to decide, a warning to those who decided against Him and a promise to those who decided for Him. Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him: At this point in Jesus’ ministry there were many who believed on Him secretly. (44-50). “The Evangelist who records that promise does not mention Mary’s name; John, who does mention the name, does not record the promise. Christ's riding in triumph to Jerusalem is recorded by all the evangelists. S that I should heal them.”. “It was because of disobedience that man was driven by God out of the Garden of Eden for having submitted to the prince of this world (John 12:31); now by the perfect obedience of Jesus on the cross the prince of this world will be deposed from his present ascendancy.” (Tasker). So with the hardening of their heart. Jesus never really responded to these Gentile seekers, but He would on the other side of the cross. Thank heaven I don’t have to do that.” Then Jesus says, “Follow Me.”, iv. But this was not the way it seemed to the men of the New Testament.” (Morris). “On this occasion the Greek’s curiosity about Jesus may have been stirred simply because everyone was talking about him. “Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD!” This large, enthusiastic crowd greeted Jesus with words from the Messianic Psalm 118:25-26. Many people have a religious facade that hides secret sin. The house was filled with the fragrance of the oil: The sense of smell makes for long-lasting memories and John remembered how Mary’s essential oils made the whole house smell good. What they did know of Jesus made them want to know more about Him, so they came to Philip (the one disciple with a Greek name) asking to see Jesus. a. John 12:31. Let us search whether Christ be in us the hope of glory; let us beg him to make us indifferent to the trifling concerns of this life, that we may serve the Lord Jesus with a willing mind, and follow his holy example. i. The people drew false notions from the Scriptures, because they overlooked the prophecies that spoke of Christ's sufferings and death. a. • Draw all peoples: “The Cross is the magnet of Christianity. This culture has a leader, a ruler of this world – Satan, the great adversary to God (John 14:30, 16:11; 2 Corinthians 4:4, Ephesians 2:2, 6:12). i. The miracle of raising Lazarus from the dead drew many people to Jesus. While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light.” These things Jesus spoke, and departed, and was hidden from them. “Though it was for asserting this (his oneness with God) that they were going to crucify him, yet he retracts nothing of what he had spoken, but strongly reasserts it, in the very jaws of death!” (Clarke). (37-43) Christ's address to them. In this last speech to the multitude, Jesus emphasized the themes of all His previous preaching in John. What John wrote about the fragrance of the oil filling the house may have been his way of saying what Mark 14:9 said. “Unusual expense at a funeral was not regarded as unseemly; why should anyone object if the ointment which would otherwise have been used to anoint his dead body in due course was poured over him while he was still alive and able to appreciate the love which prompted the action?” (Bruce), ii. John properly understood that Isaiah saw the glory of Jesus before His incarnation and that Jesus is Yahweh. “There is a rabbinic saying ‘(The scent of) good oil is diffused from the bed-chamber to the dining-hall while a good name is diffused from one end of the world to the other.’” (Morris). The cry Hosanna meant “save now,” and on this day the crowd received Jesus as a triumphant Messiah. e. The King of Israel: This shows that the crowd, in shouting “save now!” had in mind political salvation from the oppression of the Romans. Look, the world has gone after Him! Serves Me: “Diakonos is especially a servant in attendance, at table or elsewhere; a doulos may serve at a distance: hence the appropriateness of diakonos in this verse. Where I am: “The word refers, not to the place of our Lord at that moment, but to His essential, true place, i.e. We could define this world in the sense Jesus spoke of as culture in opposition to Jesus. Nature abhors death: God has implanted that abhorrence in nature, that it might become a principle of self preservation; and it is to this that we owe all that prudence and caution by which we avoid danger.” (Clarke). And will glorify it: “Christ was glorified: 1st. THE ANOINTING AT BETHANY. i. We need 2 cookies to store this setting. i. Sir, we wish to see Jesus: These Greeks had heard of Jesus, perhaps of His reputation as a teacher and worker of miracles. (1-11) He enters Jerusalem. What I should say and what I should speak: “The former designates the doctrine according to its contents, the latter the varying manner of delivery.” (Dods), ©2018 David Guzik – No distribution beyond personal use without permission. They resolved that the man should die whom the Lord had raised to life. v. “You must sit at his feet, or you will never anoint them; he must pour his divine teaching into you, or you will never pour out a precious ointment upon him.” (Spurgeon) Click to enable/disable _gid - Google Analytics Cookie. The final salvation of the soul often originates, under God, in a principle of simple curiosity. It doesn’t mean that you stop working your job or caring for your family or studying at school. i. a. Click on the different category headings to find out more. Colossians 2:14-15 vividly described the defeat of Satan at the cross: having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. Click to enable/disable Google reCaptcha. We may request cookies to be set on your device. “He would sell his very Saviour. I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness. We also notice that it was poured out in a single act, and not something like a work of art that could be sold for the benefit of the poor or the extension of the kingdom of Jesus. There is no going back on it.” (Morris), “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain. It is much better to be like Mary (extreme in our love for Jesus) than to be like Judas (criticizing others who show such great love for Jesus). It makes us happy to see the enemies of Jesus frustrated. Therefore, in the opinion of these religious leaders, Lazarus also had to be stopped. It was their own deliberate choice, their own fault.” (Morris). The reigning love of money is heart-theft. Please be aware that this might heavily reduce the functionality and appearance of our site. If you are at an office or shared network, you can ask the network administrator to run a scan across the network looking for misconfigured or infected devices. It would be easy for the disciples to think, “Jesus is going to the cross. This chapter focuses on the reactions of love and hate, belief and rejection toward Christ, leading to the cross. “The principle stated in verse 24 is of wide application; in particular, if it is true of Jesus, it must be true of his followers.” (Bruce). Although He had done so many signs before them, they did not believe in Him: Throughout his Gospel, John told us of many signs that Jesus performed that should cause us to believe in Him (John 2:11, 4:54, 6:14). Commentary on John 12:27-33 (Read John 12:27-33) The sin of our souls was the troubled of Christ's soul, when he undertook to redeem and save us, and to make his soul an offering for our sin. The salvation of souls hitherto, and henceforward to the end of time, is owing to the dying of this Corn of wheat. Opportunities are to be improved; and those first and most vigorously, which are likely to be the shortest. “The Pharisees were of course exaggerating, but the words the world is gone after him (John 12:19), like the words of Caiaphas in John 11:50, were unconsciously prophetic.” (Tasker), ii. Jesus knew the painful and humiliating manner of His death, but still obeyed God’s will. iii. iii. Those who would walk in the light must believe in it, and follow Christ's directions. “We have heard much concerning him, and we wish to see the person of whom we have heard such strange things. “They greeted Jesus as a king, though ignorant of the nature of His kingship. The glorification Jesus pointed to here was being glorified on the cross. “These men from the West at the end of the Life of Jesus, set forth the same as the Magi from the East at its beginning: — but they come to the Cross of the King, as those to His cradle.” (Stier, cited in Alford). Jesus had revealed Himself to them through the many signs and through His teaching. But there could have been a more special reason. And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. Then Judas broke the embarrassed silence with his sharp sense of financial values – but no appreciation of what God valued. Prayer against trouble may well agree with patience under it, and submission to the will of God in it. Please see our Privacy Policy for cookie usage details. Now that the hour has come, it was time for Jesus to make the final sacrifice. Sinners are brought to see the reality of Divine things, and to have some knowledge of them. Sitting on a donkey’s colt.”. His disciples did not understand these things at first; but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things were written about Him and that they had done these things to Him. Palm branches were a symbol of Jewish nationalism since the time of the Maccabees. You may need to download version 2.0 now from the Chrome Web Store. (John 17:24) in the glory of the Father.” (Alford). When Jesus came and went into Jerusalem, lambs for sacrifice would surround him and everyone else. Click to enable/disable _ga - Google Analytics Cookie. “After centuries of Christian history, during which the church has been almost exclusively Gentile, we have come to accept that it is quite normal that there should be very few Jews in it. Now a great many of the Jews knew that He was there; and they came, not for Jesus’ sake only, but that they might also see Lazarus, whom He had raised from the dead. He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. In the descent of the Holy Ghost on the apostles. ii. That just happened at the triumphal entry. “Secret discipleship is a contradiction in terms for, ‘either the secrecy kills the discipleship, or the discipleship kills the secrecy.’” (Barclay), ii. Later, palms appeared as national symbols on the coins struck by the Judean insurgents during the first and second revolts against Rome (AD 66-70 and 132-135).” (Bruce). The following cookies are also needed - You can choose if you want to allow them: You can read about our cookies and privacy settings in detail on our Privacy Policy Page. c. I have come as light into the world: Jesus stressed His own truthfulness, and the need man has to follow Jesus – or else live in darkness. They were mostly unaware of the passages that spoke of His suffering (such as Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53). But she did not leave off serving, as some, who when found fault with for going too far in one way, peevishly run too far another way; she still served, but within hearing of Christ's gracious words. This crowd that enthusiastically greeted a political conqueror didn’t want to consider His sacrificial death. God would strengthen them in their decision, either for Jesus or against Him.

How Do You Make Meatloaf Seasoning From Scratch, Alaska North Slope Map, Lull Mattress Price, Pimm's Cup Cocktail, Purusha Suktam Sanskrit Pdf, Anticancer: A New Way Of Life Review, Lemon Ricotta Dessert Cake, Eight O Clock Coffee Original Review, Best 300-hour Online Yoga Teacher Training, Contemporary Bedroom Design, How Big Is A Yard In Inches, Walnut Oil Vs Walnut Alkyd Medium, Pom Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice, Moong Dal Recipe Gujarati, Boogie Nights Pool Song, Magnetic Dovetail Guide Amazon, How To Spell, Cédric Grolet Book, Avenger 220 Cruise Red Color, Woodchuck Cider Kegs, Cupcakes With Nutella Frosting, Barilla Spiral Pasta, Diddy Kong Racing Keys, The Story Goes On Game, Gordon Ramsay Pork Ribs,