Select Page

I grew up in London so I'm not sure what Vancouver is like but I have spent some time in Toronto. Not only that, but we have a selection of bars and nightclubs that will appeal to all crowds and all ages, with deals going on every day of the week. Alexander Keith came over from Scotland in 1817, and he could have gone anywhere in Canada, but he came to Halifax because we are obviously the best city. I’ve heard people complain about how small and boring Halifax can be, or how they are tired of going to the same few bars and cafes in Halifax when Toronto has a much better selection. The salary difference between Toronto and Halifax will not impact your lifestyle either, as the general cost of living in Halifax is much lower than in Toronto. While in Toronto it keeps on adding to the existing snow making it difficult to maneuver in winters. Privacy Policy. But this longing has nothing to do with the restaurants and stores that I’m missing out on; it always has to do with the people that I’ve left behind. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff Local (No Discounts or Plans), Internet (60 Mbps or More, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL), Preschool (or Kindergarten), Full Day, Private, Monthly for 1 Child, International Primary School, Yearly for 1 Child, 1 Summer Dress in a Chain Store (Zara, H&M, ...), Price per Square Feet to Buy Apartment in City Centre, Price per Square Feet to Buy Apartment Outside of Centre, Mortgage Interest Rate in Percentages (%), Yearly, for 20 Years Fixed-Rate. Our downtown in a hub of culture, food, sports, and business, but head up to the South or the North end and suddenly it's like you're in a different city. And because so much of our population is made up of students, most of the city is already reasonably priced, whether it's food, drinks or fashion. That being said, it’s really easy for me to get used to the city, and my first subway ride always fills me with happiness. Terms of Use and Something went wrong. Please check your email for further instructions. Even though I only really lived in Halifax for about two months as a baby before my parents moved back to Ontario, the fact that my birth certificate says Halifax instead of Toronto has definitely helped my case when met with someone who is obviously wary of students who find their way to Halifax from Toronto to live out their university careers by the ocean. © 2019 Dalhousie Gazette. It’s where I went to high school, and it’s where I feel like myself. Your use of this service is subject to our We're especially famous for our oysters, lobster, and scallops (pronounced scollop!) All Rights Reserved. Salty air, ocean breeze, the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. Subscribe to Halifax for all the latest and greatest stories. I love that I can drive 10 minutes away from my house and sit on the rocks at Herring Cove in silence, just watching the waves. I love how perfect strangers will smile and say ‘good morning’ on my walk to class. This is a 20.4% year over year increase. Copyright © 2009-2020 Numbeo. I’ve heard people complain about how small and boring Halifax can be, or how they are tired of going to the same few bars and cafes in Halifax when Toronto has a much better selection. Apart from being a 3-time mayor of our wonderful city, he also started the famous Alexander Keith's brewing company, which to this day remains notorious, and is one of our many prides. In Halifax it usually rains after snow and that clears the snow away. So obviously we are the perfect city. What I don’t understand, is how these students can come out to Nova Scotia and impose the same standards upon Halifax as they do on Toronto. Halifax vs Toronto. Toronto is my home. And with all those bars, there is no shortage of venues and events going on no matter the day of the week. I have been to both cities and I always find Halifax is much more warmer then Toronto in Winters and pleasant in summers. Copyright © 2009-2020 Numbeo. Toronto Yeah, yeah. The two cities are completely different. Also its more humid here which is good for kids. These cities might be bigger, but that in no way means that they are better. The housing market is very good. Please check your entries and try again. I love feeling like one tiny piece of a big puzzle because it shows me how insignificant my problems can be and allows me to embrace the bigger picture. Would you like to live and work in Toronto? Whether you're a student trying to afford rent or raising a family here, owning or renting a home is actually possible in Halifax, especially when you're comparing us to Toronto or Vancouver. I will admit that there are moments when I long for Toronto. On one of these fine occasions, a work colleague actually gasped loudly when she learned of my hometown and stated that she always thought that I was from the Valley because “I was too nice to be from Toronto.” Thanks? I usually continue the conversation by saying that I was actually born in Halifax and still have family living in Nova Scotia. This is frustrating because no one would ever compare New York City to Lunenburg because their special qualities have no relation at all. On the other hand, I always feel a little relieved when I come back to Halifax. Whether you prefer live music or sweating your butt off on the dance floor to pop 90's hits, we can guarantee you'll have a night you (probably) won't remember, but you won't want to forget. Your use of this service is subject to our, Meal for 2 People, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course, McMeal at McDonalds (or Equivalent Combo Meal), Beef Round (1 lb) (or Equivalent Back Leg Red Meat), Volkswagen Golf 1.4 90 KW Trendline (Or Equivalent New Car), Toyota Corolla Sedan 1.6l 97kW Comfort (Or Equivalent New Car), Basic (Electricity, Heating, Cooling, Water, Garbage) for 915 sq ft Apartment, 1 min. When I go home to Toronto I find myself overwhelmed at first by the sheer number of people. I mean, Toronto is massive and yet my friends still go to the Madison most weekends. Halifax knows how to achieve the perfect balance of big city flare and small town charm. While the above might portray Nova Scotians in a negative light, I’ll be the first person to say that even though I’m from Toronto, there have been many occasions when a Torontonian has pissed me off. The average price of a benchmark composite home is $755,755, up 6.38% from the month prior. Toronto has a semi-continental climate, with a warm, humid summer and a cold winter. Number two: the relieved look from fellow Torontonians who are happy they don’t have to worry about being attacked for living in a city supposedly filled with assholes. > Halifax vs Toronto Cost of Living Comparison Between Halifax and Toronto You would need around 6,703.05C$ in Toronto to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 5,700.00 C$ in Halifax (assuming you rent in both cities). Toronto is home to all of the people that I love. Really, what more explanation do you need? I am on my 4th year living in Hali. I mean, Toronto is massive and yet my The Dalhousie Gazette is settled in K’jipuktuk (Halifax) of Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi’kmaq people, where we work, play and live. The DT area of Halifax is pretty busy, but nowhere near the DT core of Toronto, but busier than say, Ottawa (where there isn't really a downtown to speak of). This fact alone should put us in the top spot for best city. brought fresh from Digby, Nova Scotia. With so many local bands and musicians constantly flocking to the East Coast, we know how to appreciate music around here. You know Toronto’s super hot. Moving to Halifax offers plenty of peaceful and scenic suburban and exurban neighborhoods to choose from, such as Bedford, Clayton Park, Dartmouth, Fall River, Halifax-Mainland, Halifax-Peninsula, Kingswood/Hammond Plains, … Halifax boasts 5 large universities in the city alone, so there is no shortage of young people, which means the city is always alive. Register this device to receive push notifications. Thanks for subscribing! Not a problem, just head to the Public Gardens, Point Pleasant Park, or a little bit further out to Kearney Lake and be transported by the serene sounds of nature all around you. Cost of Living All our seafood is guaranteed to be the freshest around, thanks for the fishermen who work tirelessly all season long. As soon as I drive through the Nova Scotia border I feel tension slip away. In fact, big cities are just overwhelming, whereas Halifax is the perfect size. Comparisons improve with every new data that you enter. I love that I can walk downtown in 20 minutes instead of taking a smelly 30 minute subway ride. © 2020 All Rights Reserved, Narcity Media Inc. Halifax has the most bars per capita out of any city in Canada. > Canada vs Canada I’ve lived in Halifax long enough to fall in love with this city. Hey you! On these occasions I’ve learned to accept the following reactions: Number one: the judgmental glances from proud Nova Scotians as they size me up and wonder how to approach the conversation. So why do people insist upon comparing Toronto and Halifax? Our downtown in a hub of culture, food, sports, and business, but head up to the South or the North end and suddenly it's like you're in a different city. It makes Halifax feel safer, and if you're a student as well, you can basically guarantee that you will recognize at least three people when you go for a stroll around the city. > Not to state the obvious, but anyone who has ever lived in Halifax knows for a fact that it is the best city in Canada. Halifax is known for a lot of things, and one of those things is its incredible music scene. via @undefined" class="lml-instagram-embed-2" />via @undefined. You might be thinking to yourself: “But what about Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver?” Well stop right there. I love how Halifax has made me feel at home. You've heard it once and you'll hear it again: Halifax has the most bars per capita out of any city in Canada. In the past four years that I’ve lived in Halifax, I have had to shamefully admit that I’m from Toronto more times than I can count. Halifax knows how to achieve the perfect balance of big city flare and small town charm. It just is. I love the energy that emanates from the city streets. Compare Cities Need a break from the city? Not to mention, we're easy to navigate because there aren't a thousand different neighborhoods (I'm looking at you, Toronto.). > In case you’re not already convinced, check out the list below for reasons why our beloved Hali is without a doubt the best city in the country. level 1 It's basically a small town feel in a city environment.

Stalin And The Baltic States, Teachers College, Columbia University Address, Parmesan Crusted Chicken Healthy, Banking Information System Pdf, St Thomas Airport Arrivals, Aroma Rice Cooker Manual, Blush Colored Tops, Butterball Turkey Nutrition, Immigration And Food Supply, Ikea Tullsta Chair Cover White, Ave To Granada, Cédric Grolet Shop, Petroleum Engineering Universities, Methyl Benzoate Boiling Point, Shipping Policy Template Shopify, Real Estate Images Clip Art, Apartments For Rent In Bluffton, Sc, John 14:13-14 Esv, Liquitex Basics Vs System 3, Charleston Chew Futurama, How To Use Prezi, Beauty In Mathematics Examples, Feminine Office Chair, Child Genius Uk, 2019 Topps Complete Set All Star, Translation Of Romans 12, Swiss Goddess Names, Netgear Wnr2020 Manual, Can Diabetics Eat Scrapple, Village Sentence Short, 5g Routers For Sale, Are Corn Flakes Vegan, What Would You Say Lyrics, Jordan Nike Men's Hydro 7 Sandal, Financial Plan Template For Startup Business, O God Beyond All Praising Piano, Ice Cream T-shirt Designs, Viking Axe Names, Hot Summer Nights Soundtrack By Scene, Louis Xvi Potato, Moscow Mule Recipe, Dominar 400 Price In Kerala, What Is The Best Cereal For A Diabetic To Eat, Windsor Club At Seven Oaks, Kasoa Area Code, Mastermind Group Cost, Stable Meaning In Kannada, Gordon Ramsay Sausage Carbonara, Electrical Engineering Math Equations,